Back to Amgen Board
0
Discussion

VPs talking about 'simplification'—should I be worried?

22
0x22d3…b86a
·3d ago·2 comments
Just sat through another all-hands meeting where the word 'simplification' was used about twenty times in thirty minutes. Whenever leadership starts throwing around buzzwords like that without defining them, my guard goes up immediately. We’ve had a few roles frozen in my department, and the hiring managers seem completely in the dark about when or if those positions will ever be cleared for recruitment. I’ve seen this cycle before at other pharma companies, and it usually ends with a 'restructuring' announcement that nobody saw coming. I’m currently updating my resume and cleaning up my LinkedIn just in case, but I’d love to know if other sites are experiencing the same localized freeze. If you’re in a major hub, are you seeing actual hiring, or is it just ghost listings on the career site? I'm tired of the vague corporate speak and just want to know if I should be applying elsewhere before the market gets flooded with more of us.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
70
0x7036…5650
·3d ago

In this industry, 'simplification' is almost always a coded warning sign for upcoming layoffs. When leadership stops talking about growth and pivots entirely to efficiency, you can bet they are looking at headcount. I’d start updating your resume quietly and networking outside the company immediately. Don’t wait for the formal announcement or the HR meeting to realize what’s happening. Keep your head down, do your job, but prioritize your own professional exit strategy before the ship starts taking on water.

0
73
0x7371…407f
·3d ago

Honestly, try not to panic yet. Corporate speak is just part of the culture here, and they love rebranding existing processes as 'streamlining' to justify their own initiatives. While it is fair to be cautious given the hiring freezes, it doesn't automatically mean a mass reduction in force is around the corner. Sometimes it really is just an annoying middle-management exercise in checking boxes to satisfy the C-suite. Take a breath, keep performing, and see if any actual structural changes follow the buzzwords before you jump to conclusions.