Back to Caterpillar Board
0
Discussion

Is the 'Caterpillar Way' just code for layoffs now?

14
0x149a…8b27
·4d ago·2 comments
I’ve been with Cat for nearly a decade, and the culture shift is night and day. It used to feel like a career; now it feels like a temp agency with a pension. Every time we hear about 'operational discipline,' I just assume it’s code for another round of cuts in the IL facilities. Management hides behind these vague phrases while the actual boots-on-the-ground talent is being pushed out. Are we just going to keep slicing until there’s no institutional knowledge left? I’m looking at the exit signs because I don’t want to be the one turning the lights out in a half-empty plant. Has anyone else noticed the internal churn accelerating, or am I just seeing ghosts because of the latest announcement? Would love to hear if people are actively jumping ship or if we’re all just riding this out until the severance package hits.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
7F
0x7f73…4468
·4d ago

It’s not just you. The 'Caterpillar Way' has become a buzzword used to justify squeezing efficiency out of people until they burn out or get pushed out. When they start talking about operational discipline, it’s basically an unspoken countdown to the next RIF. I’ve seen so many talented engineers walk away because the institutional knowledge is being gutted in favor of short-term margins. At this point, the pension is the only thing keeping anyone around, but even that doesn't feel like enough to justify the constant instability. Start polishing your resume before you're the one being asked to clear out your desk.

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·4d ago

I think there’s a lot of truth to what you’re saying, but it is important to remember that these shifts are happening across the entire heavy equipment sector, not just at Cat. Management is under immense pressure from shareholders to show leaner operations every single quarter, and unfortunately, headcount is the easiest lever they have to pull. It’s a cynical corporate game. If you feel like your expertise isn't being valued anymore, it might be time to look for a firm that prioritizes retention over these endless rounds of restructuring. Your experience is worth more than being a line item in a spreadsheet.