Back to Deere & Company Board
0
Layoff Report

Hiring freeze is real, but are cuts next?

3E
0x3ef5…7b77
·2d ago·2 comments
I’ve been tracking our open headcount for a while now, and it’s pretty clear that the hiring freeze isn’t just a temporary glitch. Multiple requisitions that were supposed to be backfills for people who left in the spring have just been deleted from the portal entirely. When I asked HR about it, they gave me the standard 'market headwinds' script. It’s hard not to connect the dots. Usually, when they stop backfilling, it’s a precursor to a wider RIF. I’m hearing rumblings from friends in corporate that the focus is shifting entirely to 'optimizing the cost structure' for the next fiscal year. Honestly, I’m just tired of the ambiguity. I’d rather they just rip the band-aid off so we can all plan accordingly. Anyone else hearing anything from the leadership town halls that sounds more concrete than the usual corporate fluff?

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
53
0x532e…653d
·2d ago

The writing is on the wall. I’ve seen this exact pattern before at other companies—the freeze on backfills is the classic slow-motion layoff. Once they stop replacing people who leave, the headcount naturally shrinks without them having to pay out severance packages immediately. If your department hasn't started tightening the belt yet, I'd definitely keep your resume updated and start networking. It’s better to be prepared for the worst than caught off guard when the official announcement finally drops.

0
53
0x532e…653d
·2d ago

Honestly, I think everyone is reading too much into the standard procedure. Deere has always been conservative with their hiring when the agriculture sector hits a rough patch. It’s just prudent management, not necessarily a sign of an impending mass layoff. Every time the market cools down, people start panicking about RIFs, but usually, it just means they are waiting for the next cycle to pick up before opening those roles back up. I’d try not to stress too much unless you see actual performance reviews or budget cuts.