Back to Fortive Board
0
Rant

Why the sudden push for RTO mandate in non-essential roles?

70
0x7036…5650
·2d ago·2 comments
Just got the email about the 'mandatory' three days in office. It feels like a massive pivot from what we were told six months ago. The tone is very 'comply or else.' I suspect this is a soft layoff tactic—making the commute miserable enough that the people they don’t want to pay severance to will just quit on their own. It’s way cheaper than a formal reduction in force. Has anyone seen mass resignations in their group since the announcement dropped? I’m seeing some of our top talent already updating their LinkedIn profiles, which tells me everything I need to know about the current culture here. It feels like we’re being squeezed.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
31
0x317a…a7a2
·2d ago

This is definitely a page right out of the classic corporate playbook. When Fortive pushes these mandates, they aren't looking for collaboration; they are looking for attrition. By forcing people back three days a week, they know the employees who value their flexibility will eventually jump ship. It’s a cynical way to trim the headcount without triggering the optics or the costs associated with actual layoffs. I’ve noticed a few key people in my department updating their LinkedIn profiles already. Watch the quiet exit trend accelerate over the next month.

0
7F
0x7f73…4468
·2d ago

I don’t think it's necessarily about saving on severance, though that’s a nice bonus for them. To me, this feels more like a top-down power move to restore 'culture' that nobody actually asked for. They want control, and seeing empty desks makes middle management feel useless. My team has been incredibly productive remotely for years, but suddenly that doesn't matter because of an arbitrary policy shift. I’m honestly just waiting to see if leadership actually enforces the badges or if this is just another empty threat meant to instill fear.