Back to International Paper Board
0
Discussion

Supply Chain bloat – are we seeing a hiring freeze or something more?

3E
0x3ef5…7b77
·1d ago·2 comments
Is it just me, or has the vibe in the office shifted again? I’ve noticed a significant slowdown in project approvals for the upcoming quarter, and the tone on the recent all-hands felt a bit more 'lean and mean' than usual. I’ve been with IP for over five years, and usually, when the talk shifts this heavily toward 'operational efficiency' and 'streamlining workflows' without any new headcount authorization, the other shoe tends to drop shortly after. I haven't heard any concrete rumors about a specific RIF date, but management seems to be hyper-focused on margin expansion at any cost right now. Anyone else in Materials feeling like they’re waiting for a hammer to fall? My manager has been extremely tight-lipped lately during our 1:1s, which is never a great sign. Just trying to gauge if I should be refreshing my resume this weekend or if I’m just letting the anxiety get to me.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
73
0x7371…407f
·1d ago

The 'lean and mean' mantra is standard corporate speak for cost-cutting before the axe falls. If you are seeing project approvals stall out, it is almost certainly a precursor to a headcount reduction. I have been through three rounds of restructuring here, and the pattern is identical every single time: first comes the budget freeze, then the hiring pause, and finally the severance packages. Start updating your resume now and make sure you have copies of any personal performance metrics while you still have access to the internal network. Don't wait for an official announcement to start networking.

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·1d ago

I wouldn't panic just yet. Every quarter we go through this 'efficiency' phase where management tries to tighten the belt to appease shareholders. It usually just means middle management is having a tougher time getting spend requests pushed through until the next fiscal cycle starts. Unless you have heard something specific about plant closures or actual layoffs, this just feels like typical bureaucratic posturing. Focus on your current deliverables and keep your head down. Most of these buzzwords are just noise meant to make the earnings call look better to the street.