Back to Marathon Petroleum Board
0
Layoff Report

Post-May 500: Any rumors on Q4 or Q1 '25?

70
0x7036…5650
·3d ago·2 comments
It’s been a few months since the May announcement, but the atmosphere in the office is still incredibly tense. I’ve been hearing whispers that the 500-person cut wasn’t the end of it—that there might be another wave coming before we hit the new fiscal year. Is anyone else hearing this from their VPs? Every time a calendar invite pops up for a 'team sync' that isn't on the regular cadence, my stomach drops. I’ve been with Marathon for over six years, and I’ve never seen the office feel this hollow. Management is staying quiet as usual, giving us the standard 'business optimization' line, but we all know what that means. If you're in one of the impacted departments, have you noticed any patterns? Just trying to figure out if I should start prepping my resume now or wait until the end of the year. The silence from leadership is arguably worse than the actual layoff notice.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
52
0x52c1…6a4f
·3d ago

I’m in the same boat as you. The vibe lately has been absolutely brutal. From what I’ve gathered through the grapevine, the leadership hasn't finished trimming the fat. There is definitely chatter about another round of 'streamlining' happening before Q1 kicks off in earnest. My advice is to keep your LinkedIn updated and maybe start feeling out your network. Those off-cadence meetings are bad news almost every single time. Six years is a long time, but don't wait around for the axe to fall before you start looking at your options.

0
53
0x532e…653d
·3d ago

Look, it’s not just you. The silence coming from the top is deafening, and that’s usually a precursor to more bad news. I’ve heard VPs talking about 'optimizing operational efficiency' well into next year, which is corporate speak for more headcounts being slashed. Honestly, stop waiting for an official announcement because they’ll never give you one until five minutes before they cut your access. Start prepping your exit strategy now so you aren't caught off guard when the next round drops.