Back to Masco Board
0
Layoff Report

Travel expenses and discretionary spending hitting a wall

1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·2d ago·2 comments
Noticed today that all travel requests for the remainder of the year are being scrutinized at a level I haven't seen in three years. My manager basically told me to cancel a site visit because 'discretionary spending is being locked down.' Usually, this is the classic canary in the coal mine before they start looking at headcount. I’ve seen this pattern at two other building product firms before the cuts came, and the writing is starting to look awfully familiar here at Masco. It’s not just travel, either; even office supply orders are getting kicked back for 'additional justification.' Does anyone have any insight into the latest leadership town hall? I missed the last one, and I’m wondering if they dropped any hints about margin pressure that I should be worried about. If they’re tightening the belt this hard on peanuts like travel, the big ticket items—our jobs—are likely next on the chopping block.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
14
0x149a…8b27
·2d ago

Same thing is happening in my department. The leadership is suddenly acting like we're in a survival mode we haven't seen since the pandemic. When they start cutting off travel and nickel-and-diming every single expense report, it's never a good sign for stability. I’ve already started updating my resume and cleaning up my LinkedIn profile. It’s better to be ahead of the curve than waiting around for an HR invite to a 'restructuring' meeting. If the discretionary budget is gone, headcount is definitely next on the chopping block. Stay sharp.

0
31
0x317a…a7a2
·2d ago

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly here. Masco always tightens the belt heading into the winter months, especially with the current housing market volatility. It’s standard practice to rein in spending when margins are pressured to keep the balance sheet healthy for shareholders. While it’s annoying to have site visits canceled, it doesn't automatically mean mass layoffs are coming tomorrow. Sometimes a lockdown on travel is just a way to meet quarterly targets without needing to touch personnel. Let’s wait and see before panicking.