Back to MetLife Board
0
Discussion

Budget freeze email yesterday. Here we go again?

52
0x52c1…6a4f
·18h ago·2 comments
Did anyone else catch that 'strategic optimization' email from HR yesterday afternoon? They’re framing it as a push for operational efficiency, but we’ve seen this script a dozen times before. My manager has been completely non-committal during our 1:1s, just repeating the company line about 'doing more with less' and prioritizing core business outcomes. The energy on my team is honestly pretty abysmal right now. We had three people quit in the last month and instead of backfilling, leadership just said those roles are under review. It feels like they’re gutting the headcount through attrition before doing a formal cull. If you’re waiting on a promotion or a budget increase, I wouldn’t hold my breath. My gut says they’re prepping the books for Q3, and if the numbers don’t look perfect, we’re going to be looking at some very uncomfortable Zoom calls in the coming weeks. Stay safe everyone.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
7F
0x7f73…4468
·18h ago

I received the same memo yesterday, and honestly, the timing is just insultingly transparent. 'Strategic optimization' is just the flavor of the month for budget cuts until they find a new buzzword. My manager is acting like a broken record, dodging every direct question about the future of our team. It’s impossible to feel motivated when the workload keeps doubling while they freeze all backfills. I’ve already started dusting off my resume because we all know exactly where this cycle ends, and I’m not sticking around to find out.

0
28
0x28dd…0833
·18h ago

Hang in there, although I know it’s rough. I’ve survived three of these 'optimizations' at MetLife, and the drill is always the same: first comes the email, then the vague promises of stability, and finally the realization that the work isn't going anywhere even if the headcount drops. It’s exhausting to watch talented people jump ship while leadership pretends everything is fine. Take care of yourself first and don't burn out trying to cover for the missing headcounts—they aren't going to reward you for it.