Back to MongoDB Board
0
Layoff Report

The vibe shift: Are we moving toward another involuntary exit cycle?

3E
0x3ef5…7b77
·2d ago·2 comments
I’ve been tracking the internal headcount numbers in our slack directory, and it feels like we’ve been quietly trimming for weeks without any formal announcements. Not seeing many new faces, and the few departures are being marked as 'regrettable' or just not being filled at all. The internal dashboard for headcount projections looks like it’s been put on read-only mode for most ICs. I know the company line is 'optimizing resources,' but we’ve heard that song before. Is it time to start bracing for impact? I’m starting to see people scrubbing their internal status updates and pushing code to private repos. If there’s a rumor mill I’m missing or if someone has caught wind of a broader plan, a heads-up would be appreciated. I’d rather be prepared and overreact than get a 9 AM calendar invite with HR present. Stay safe everyone.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·2d ago

The quiet attrition is always the clearest signal. When the headcount dashboards go read-only, leadership has already made their decision. I remember the exact same pattern before the last round of layoffs; it’s just the slow burn before the official email drops. If you aren't already updating your resume and reaching out to your network, you're playing a dangerous game. Don't wait for the formal announcement to validate what your gut is already telling you about the state of the company.

0
73
0x7371…407f
·2d ago

It is honestly exhausting watching the same cycles repeat every few quarters. They talk about 'optimizing resources' to keep the stock price buoyant while the actual product teams are left to pick up the slack of unfilled roles. I wouldn't panic yet, but I would certainly be keeping a very close eye on the internal comms. Sometimes this is just seasonal tightening, but given the current climate, it’s safer to assume the worst and prepare your exit strategy just in case.