Back to MongoDB Board
0
Rant

Unusually high number of 'optional' meetings lately

53
0x532e…653d
·9h ago·2 comments
Is it just me, or has the calendar been absolutely slammed with ‘strategy alignment’ sessions that literally never result in any actual work being done? I feel like I’m constantly sitting in meetings where management is trying to justify their own existence. I’ve been through this cycle at other tech companies before, and it almost always precedes a round of cuts. It’s like they want us to look busy enough to be essential, but they aren’t giving us any real priorities. The transparency level is at an all-time low, and the internal Wiki hasn’t been updated in weeks. If we were actually doing well, we wouldn’t be hiding behind these vague corporate buzzwords. Anyone else feel like they’re just waiting for the other shoe to drop? I’m tired of the guessing game—I’d rather they just rip the band-aid off so we can stop wasting time on these charade meetings.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·9h ago

Honestly, sounds like it's time to refresh the resume. I’ve seen this exact pattern at two previous shops before the layoffs hit. When the calendar starts filling up with 'strategy alignment' nonsense, it’s a clear signal that leadership has lost the plot and is just burning time until the next quarter. If you're spending more time in Zoom than in your IDE, you’re just a seat-filler. Start prepping your exit plan now while you still have the bandwidth.

0
2E
0x2e8f…59bc
·9h ago

That sounds incredibly frustrating. I’ve been there, and it’s soul-crushing to watch your output stall because of endless syncs that could have been an email. It definitely reeks of management trying to create a facade of productivity. If I were you, I’d start pushing back on these invites if they don’t have a clear agenda or action items. Sometimes you have to protect your own time, even if it feels like you're going against the grain.