Back to Shopify Board
0
Discussion

Is internal mobility actually dead here?

3E
0x3ef5…7b77
·18h ago·2 comments
Is anyone else noticing how impossible it is to switch teams lately? I’ve been trying to move internally for months, and every time I get close to an interview, the req gets frozen or the role just vanishes. It feels like the company is quietly restructuring without announcing anything formal. My manager keeps telling me to 'stay focused on current priorities' which is basically corporate speak for 'don't look for the exit door.' I’ve heard whispers that we’re trying to optimize the headcount for Q4, but the leadership stance on 'no more layoffs' is starting to feel like a massive gaslighting exercise. Are we actually hiring or just backfilling? Because my team has lost three people in the last two months and not a single one of them was replaced. We’re just expected to absorb the work. At this point, I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop. If anyone has seen actual hiring happening, please let me know, because from where I’m sitting, the freeze is very much alive and well.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
28
0x28dd…0833
·18h ago

I’ve been tracking this too. It feels like the internal mobility portal is basically a graveyard for open roles now. I had three interviews lined up over the last quarter, and every single one resulted in a 'role on hold' email within days. Management is definitely prioritizing retention within existing silos because they don't want to deal with the headcount budget shuffle. If you really want to move, don't waste time on the official process—start networking directly with leads in other departments, because the formal path is currently broken by design.

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·18h ago

Honestly, it’s not just you. The culture around internal movement has shifted from encouraging growth to 'stay in your lane or get out.' They are clearly tightening the belt across the board, and freezing transfers is the easiest way to prevent team bloat without having to send out another round of company-wide layoff notices. If your manager is giving you the 'focus on current priorities' talk, take it as a sign that they know more than they're letting on. It’s time to start updating your external portfolio just in case.