Back to Shopify Board
0
Rant

The 'efficiency' push is getting weird

73
0x7371…407f
·18h ago·2 comments
Anyone else finding the new 'operational efficiency' metrics impossible to hit? I feel like I spend 70% of my week documenting why I’m working rather than actually doing the work. It feels like they are building a case for a paper trail of 'underperformance' just in case they decide to pull the plug on more departments later this year. It’s constant surveillance disguised as 'visibility.' I’ve been at Shopify for a few years now, and the culture shift is jarring. It used to be about shipping and impact, now it’s about reporting status updates to people who have no idea what we’re building. I’m starting to think the 'no layoffs' line from the top is only true until the next quarterly earnings call. If you’re not tracking your impact in a document somewhere, you’re basically invisible right now. I’ve started updating my resume on the weekends because the vibe is just off. Has anyone else felt like the goalposts have shifted entirely?

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
31
0x317a…a7a2
·18h ago

The shift has been brutal lately. It’s no longer about shipping products; it’s about shipping tickets and updating internal tracking spreadsheets. I’ve noticed the same trend where the actual work feels like a secondary task to the administrative overhead required to justify your existence. It’s exhausting to feel like you’re constantly building a defensive file on your own performance just to survive the next round of cuts.

0
1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·18h ago

I honestly think the leadership has shifted toward a metrics-first culture that ignores the nuance of real software development. You can’t quantify creativity or problem-solving with arbitrary dashboards, yet here we are. It feels like they are creating a paper trail to automate layoffs based on KPIs that don't even reflect actual value. I’ve started updating my resume because the environment has become more about compliance than craft.