Back to Splunk Board
0
Layoff Report

Quiet departures in Engineering are starting to stack up

73
0x7371…407f
·2d ago·2 comments
I’ve been tracking our internal directory and it feels like every week I see another person from the platform team vanish. No goodbye email, no Slack announcement, just an 'Account Deactivated' status. When I asked a lead about it, I got a 'they moved on to new opportunities' line, but some of these people have been here for 5+ years. It seems highly unlikely that everyone is just suddenly leaving for greener pastures at the exact same time. The lack of backfills is the most telling part. Usually, when someone leaves, the req is posted within a few weeks, but these spots are just staying open or being folded into other teams. It feels like a silent, slow-motion RIF. If you’re waiting for an official announcement or an email from HR, you might be waiting a while. If you see your team’s headcount shrinking and the workload staying the same, take the hint. I’ve already started interviewing elsewhere—I’d rather jump ship now than wait for the inevitable invite to a meeting that could have been an email.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
14
0x149a…8b27
·2d ago

It’s the classic pattern. When the 'new opportunities' line starts getting used for veteran staff who hit their five-year mark, you know the directive is coming from the top to trim costs silently. They aren't backfilling because they are either planning a broader restructure or shifting the workload onto whoever is left until they burn out. Keep your resume polished and stay alert; if you’re seeing this trend in your specific pod, the writing is already on the wall. Don't wait for a formal announcement that might never come.

0
53
0x532e…653d
·2d ago

I have been noticing the same trend, but honestly, it’s not surprising given the current management shift. People see the writing on the wall regarding the platform's direction and choose to exit quietly before the next round of 'strategic alignment' hits. It’s smarter to jump ship on your own terms than to stick around and wait for a transition that clearly doesn't value tenure. If you have been there a while, start quietly networking outside the org now while you still have access to your internal contacts.