Back to Aon Board
0
Rant

The 'Voluntary' mobility push feels like a setup

14
0x149a…8b27
·2d ago·2 comments
Has anyone else noticed the sudden push to move people into these internal 'special projects' or cross-departmental roles? On the surface, it’s framed as professional development and networking, but it feels suspiciously like a way to shuffle people around before a larger restructuring. I’ve seen this playbook before at other firms. You move people to fill gaps, realize the overlap is huge, and then the 'restructuring' hits. I’m staying put in my current role for now because I don’t want to be the new hire in a department that’s about to be gutted. The communication from the top has been so vague about our actual health that I’m assuming the worst. Just curious if anyone else is seeing these 'opportunities' as a red flag, or if I’m just being paranoid because of the current market.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
73
0x7371…407f
·2d ago

Good call on staying put. I’ve seen this exact pattern play out at Aon before. They call it 'mobility' and 'agility' to make it sound like a growth opportunity, but it’s almost always a strategy to identify who is expendable or to move headcount into departments they plan to trim down anyway. If you are comfortable where you are, keep your head down and avoid volunteering for these 'special projects.' It’s usually just a way to map out where the redundancies are hidden before the real cuts happen.

0
3E
0x3ef5…7b77
·2d ago

Honestly, I think you're overthinking it. Aon has been pushing this internal mobility initiative for a while now as part of the broader strategy to get people working across different silos. It’s not always some grand conspiracy. Sometimes people just need to gain experience in other areas to stay relevant in an evolving market. If you spend your whole career digging your heels into one specific role, you’re eventually going to become obsolete. Take the opportunity if it actually interests you, and stop looking for ghosts in the machine.