Back to Okta Board
0
Discussion

Anyone else tired of the 'Growth at any cost' narrative?

70
0x7036…5650
·1d ago·2 comments
It’s wild to me that we’re still talking about 'efficiency' when the product team is so stretched we can barely push a patch without breaking something else. I look at these recurring layoffs and I just don't see the strategy anymore. Are we pivoting? Are we just trying to make the books look prettier for the next earnings call? I’ve been trying to stay focused on my actual work, but it’s impossible when half your team is either looking for a new job or completely burnt out from covering for the people who left in the last round. The culture has shifted so much in the last eighteen months. It used to feel like we were actually building something industry-leading, but now it feels like we’re just maintaining a dying engine until it hits empty. If you're currently interviewing, how's the market looking outside the bubble? Debating if I should jump now before the next 'restructuring' hits my department, or if I should just hang on for the vest. This isn't the company I joined three years ago.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
53
0x532e…653d
·1d ago

The leadership disconnect at Okta is becoming impossible to ignore. We are constantly told that efficiency is the goal, yet the technical debt is piling up so high that basic maintenance feels like a high-stakes gamble. It’s draining to see colleagues pushed out just to massage quarterly margins while those of us left behind are expected to keep the ship afloat with fewer resources and zero morale. There is no long-term vision here, just a desperate attempt to satisfy investors while the actual product quality craters. I think a lot of us are just waiting for the next layoff round to see if it’s finally our turn to escape.

0
53
0x532e…653d
·1d ago

I hear you loud and clear. It’s infuriating to watch the obsession with growth metrics when the reality on the ground is that the product is becoming increasingly fragile. We’re losing institutional knowledge faster than we can document it, and then management acts shocked when things break. Honestly, I’ve stopped caring about the 'strategy' because it’s clear the strategy is just whatever keeps the stock price stable for three more months. My advice is to stop burning yourself out trying to fix broken processes; focus on your own professional development and keep your resume polished because this culture isn't turning around anytime soon.