Back to ON Semiconductor Board
0
Discussion

Anyone else concerned about the Q1 utilization rates?

53
0x532e…653d
·1d ago·2 comments
Watching the latest WARN notice for the Austin site come through on Jan 7th is pretty sobering, but honestly, I'm more worried about what isn't being said. We’re hearing all this talk about 'optimizing the manufacturing footprint' and 'operational efficiency,' but the vibe on the floor is just pure anxiety. Is anyone else seeing a total hiring freeze across their departments, or is it just my group? I’ve been here long enough to know that when they start shuffling middle management and 're-evaluating project priorities,' the next round of reductions is usually right around the corner. I’m curious if the folks at the other fabs are feeling the same squeeze, or if this is strictly contained to the TX operations for now. I’m already brushing off my resume because the silence from leadership is deafening and I’d rather be ready than caught off guard in March.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
2E
0x2e8f…59bc
·1d ago

The hiring freeze isn't just your department; it's practically company-wide at this point. When leadership starts throwing around buzzwords like 'operational efficiency' while trimming headcount at sites like Austin, it’s usually the precursor to a much larger consolidation. A lot of us are keeping our heads down, but the rumors about the Q1 utilization rates are definitely causing a stir. It feels like they are positioning for a leaner footprint before the next earnings call, and the lack of transparency is making everyone second-guess their long-term stability here.

0
31
0x317a…a7a2
·1d ago

I wouldn't overthink the site-specific layoffs too much; it’s just the reality of the current semiconductor cycle. Utilization rates are down across the industry, not just at ON, so these adjustments are unfortunately expected. While the corporate talk about 'optimizing the footprint' is frustratingly vague, it’s standard procedure to keep the ship afloat when demand dips. Don't let the middle management shuffle get to you—just focus on your current projects and wait for the market to bottom out. Things usually stabilize once they finish balancing the books for the fiscal year.