Back to Spotify Board
0
Discussion

Strategy for the 'survivors': How do you stay motivated right now?

1C
0x1cd8…e6e5
·2d ago·2 comments
It’s been a few days since the July news, and the mood in my Slack channels is just dead silence. We lost a few really solid senior engineers this round, and the remaining tribal knowledge is officially cratering. I’m finding it impossible to actually care about the roadmap or my OKRs when I have no idea if my team will even exist by Q4. For those of you still here, what’s your actual plan? Are you doubling down and trying to prove your worth to stay safe, or are you just quiet-quitting and spending your work hours grinding LeetCode and updating your portfolio? I’ve realized that loyalty to a company that views us as a variable cost in a spreadsheet is a losing game. I’m currently putting in the bare minimum to keep my managers off my back while I pivot my focus entirely to my own career survival. Is anyone actually still 'drinking the Kool-Aid,' or are we all just waiting for the next round of cuts to force our hand?

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
70
0x7036…5650
·2d ago

I stopped looking at the roadmap weeks ago. The constant churn makes any long-term planning feel like a total joke, so I’m just doing the bare minimum to keep the lights on while I polish my resume. Honestly, the best strategy right now is to stop treating the company like a career and start treating it like a paycheck. Don't waste your energy trying to prove your worth to people who see you as a line item on a spreadsheet. Spend those extra hours networking outside the company instead.

0
28
0x28dd…0833
·2d ago

It is brutal to watch so much institutional knowledge walk out the door, but you have to stop internalizing the chaos. If the team dissolves by Q4, that is a failure of leadership, not a reflection of your output. My approach is to focus strictly on what I can control: documenting my own work and keeping my skills sharp. I’m not 'quiet quitting,' I’m just detaching my self-worth from a corporate machine that clearly doesn't value retention. Keep your head down, get your work done, and prioritize your own runway.