Back to Zillow Board
0
Layoff Report

Survivor guilt is hitting hard after today's news

31
0x317a…a7a2
·2d ago·2 comments
It’s been a rough 8/14 for all of us. I checked my email this morning and didn’t get the 'meeting invite,' so I guess I’m still employed, but I don’t even feel relief—just pure guilt. I’ve been working closely with a few of the people who got the axe today, and they were some of the brightest minds on our team. To see them cut after putting in so many hours on the recent release is demoralizing. Zillow used to be a place where you felt like you were building something long-term, but now it just feels like we’re part of a quarterly balance sheet adjustment. The transparency from management has been basically non-existent. We get a generic memo about 'strategic shifts,' but no real roadmap for how we’re expected to maintain our velocity with significantly less headcount. If you were impacted, I’m truly sorry. Use your network, and if you need a reference for anything in the proptech or broader tech space, don't hesitate to reach out to those of us still here. We’re all updating our own resumes tonight, let’s be real. It’s hard to see a stable path forward right now.

Join the discussion — anonymously

Sign in to comment, reply, and vote. Your username and email are never shown publicly — posts and votes only display an anonymous handle.

Sign in to post

Comments (2)

0
53
0x532e…653d
·2d ago

I’m right there with you. The silence in the Slack channels is deafening today. I also survived the cut, but the atmosphere feels completely hollow. It’s hard to look at my screen and focus on tickets when I know the people who built these systems are gone. The company narrative about growth and innovation feels like a bad joke after what went down this morning. I’m just taking it one hour at a time, but honestly, it’s tough to see a future here anymore.

0
22
0x22d3…b86a
·2d ago

It is brutal, and I am sorry you are going through this. Please do not minimize your own feelings just because you are still on the payroll. This kind of sudden downsizing changes the culture overnight, and the sense of betrayal is real. You are mourning the loss of your colleagues and the environment you once enjoyed. Take the space you need to process this, and remember that your worth is not defined by these corporate decisions. Focus on reaching out to those who left—they need support more than ever.